Friday, October 01, 2010

Ron Collins Workshop


While at the Snip and Stitch last weekend, I learned several new techniques. The first one I am going to talk about is top stitching. I do top stitching using my 1/4" foot and Ron showed me how to use a couple of feet that I bought last winter and used for quilting. They are now deligated to my garment sewing drawer.

The two presser feet I now use for top stitching are the edging foot and the edge joining foot.

Edging Foot


Edge Joining Foot


When I am making western shirts, I do a lot of top stitching and usually only do one row of top stitching. This new technique lets me do two rows. Yes I need two presser feet but when it looks professionally done, changing those presser feet are worth it.

With the piece I am ready to top stitch, I do the following:

1. Set the stitch length to 3.5 on my Husqvarna SE or Diamond

2. Attach the Edge Joining foot

3. Set the needle to the far left and then move it right to 2.0



4. Put the edge of the fabric up against the flange and sew slowly keeping the fabric against the flange.



5. Attach the edging foot

6. Set the needle to center, stitch length at 3.5. and needle to the right to 2.0.



7. Place the edge of the fabric up against the flange and sew slowly keeping the fabric against the flange.



Finished sample:




Here is a picture of the classroom we worked in last weekend. Cozy to say the least but we all survived.

1 comment:

  1. I want to those two feet for my machine. I think Ron Collins is a great teacher and a wealth of knowledge.n

    ReplyDelete