Sunday, February 23, 2014

Banner/Sash Tutorial Part 3

Please read the three posts prior to doing this. I have made one change in red.

Part One

Part Two

This part is sewing up the sash/banner. Not too much of a mystery until I got to the end.

You now have two long pieces of fabric, one which has the embroidery on it and the other is plain. Both are interfaced. At the top of the sash part with the embroidery on it, pin the second piece of the sash. Stitch together with a 5/8” seam. Pink the seam allowance to 1/4 – 3/8”

008

Press the seams open. You can see that the one side is not even. That is fine for now.

009

Fold the banner in half making sure the folded edge doesn’t pucker. I found it easiest to start at the shoulder seam and pin down a bit, then start from the bottom up. I took my time until I was happy.

Next I took my 4” square ruler and measured from the folded edge and put a line on using a clover chalk marker.

012

Not certain I like the blue on the white but the yellow is permanent.

015

Where I want an opening for turning, I make marks.

014

Stitch on your line making sure you back stitch at both ends of the opening. I do a long basting stitch in the opening which I will rip out later on. Press the seams at the opening back so you have a line when you go to hand sew.

016

Pink the seam so it won’t show on the right side.

017

Turn right side out.

018

Press the seam to one side using just the tip of your iron. I had the seam in the middle of the banner. Press well with the side seam in place.

I put the banner on the dress form to look at it. The challenge was coming up. The ends needed to be diagonal in my mind. I measured down 44 1/4” from the shoulder seam on the banner and made a dot.

021

With the 45o line on the fold I measured it so the point was on the fold and the shorter end was on the seam. I marked it.

022

The back was measured down 44 1/4” from the shoulder seam and it was marked the same way.

023

I put it back on the dress form to look at it.

025

Perfect. I cut the fabric off at the purple lines using the rotary cutter and the ruler.

027

Turn inside out and pin the ends and stitch with a 5/8” seam. Pink the seam back and make sure the points are trimmed so they turn sharply.

028

Clip the basting stitches you put in when you sewed the long edge.

029

Turn right side out and press carefully. I put it back on the dress form, did a bit of adjusting to make sure the bottom inside edges were even.

030

Hand stitch your opening shut using a ladder stitch. Embellish how ever you want.

031032

I did enjoy doing this sash as it is different than the ones I made before. If you want to do the points at 60o you can do that also.

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to ask - do you make any of the clothing for the Calgary Stampede Queen and Princesses? The current Queen actually works in our office and she is a real sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thanks for this tutorial, very clear!

    ReplyDelete