Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Banner/Sash Tutorial–Part One

When starting this banner, I used 5D Embroidery Software. It is fairly easy to do the lettering, somewhat harder to get it looking perfect. The choice of lettering makes a difference.

009

After I printed out the words from the software, I drew the center lines longer and then added a line under the words.

010


I hated the way the “o” connected to the “m” so I did a bit of a fix up. You will see it later.
I then laid my hoop over the word and centered it up with the marks on the hoop. This hoop is bigger than 5 x 7” and the words are designed to go into a 5 x 7” hoop. No worries as I can fix that at the machine.


011


I drew around the inside of the hoop. 


012


And then cut out on the lines. Once that was done, I took the 9.25” x width of the fabric strip to the ironing board and ironed it in half lengthwise. Before ironing it in half, press on interfacing that is cut 9.25" wide and the length of the fabric. The interfacing I use is 60" wide and is lightweight. The demonstration is not done this way and I do not like it as the fabric is lightweight and light in colour.


013
Open it up flat and you are ready to begin placing your words.
014

Draw a line 2” down from the center fold. Mine is 3” down and I had to erase it and start again. I made a dot and then drew the line further up towards the cut edge.
Fold the paper down on the line just left of the P. That is your starting point.

015


Place it on the line you made with the center line on the paper aligned with the line on the sash.


018


The folded edge of the paper is at the purple dot. Center lines are matched to the line and this is ready to pin down. I started at the bottom, then sides, and finally unfolded the top and pinned it down.
I made the words Queen (and King) and 2014. I repeated the steps above in readiness to add them to the banner.
I folded down the line to the left of Queen and then I lined up the words with the line I drew under the letters.


021


And pinned in place. I will flip the folded piece out later. I needed to see how this looked.


022


And a repeat for 2014. Notice the center lines don’t match. The lines under the words match. I fiddled to make sure it was pretty near perfect.


023


And I pinned it on the dress form so you can see how it looks.


024


Don’t panic, it will look fine. I panicked when I looked at the first banner I did as it looked huge. The paper print out does that to you; messes with your head. The girls love the banners I made them.
The banner designs are uploaded here. I did a PES format.
As this is a sash that goes over the shoulder and is pinned together at the hip, I would try to buy a large crown shaped pin. We have a tiny one that wouldn’t work. Up near the shoulder yes. Down at the hip no.


025


Next, how to stitch them out.
Until tomorrow………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment