Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day Fun

Yesterday the weather was sunny and warm. It got to about 19-20C. This morning it is 1C and foggy. The sun is trying to shine so it will be another nice day. 

Lifestyle

We had a slower day yesterday. The Spousal Unit filled the 6 balcony planters with dirt so they are ready for flowers. This photo shows what you need. 
I use this formula when I do all the pots but not with the hanging baskets. I just use spillers and fill the pots full. 
In the afternoon, we sat for a while in the sun and then we got the garden boxes lined up evenly on the lawn. They are now ready for ground cover and dirt. Next weekend is planting. 
We had dinner with family and then went for a drive to Panuke Lake. It is about a 10 minute drive and the road literally ends at the lake. 
The lake is 30 km long with a hydro-electric dam at the north end. There is also a protected area at the lake due to old forest growth. People have cabins around the lake and get to them by boat. 
Here is the boat dock that people use. We actually saw two boats use it. 
We walked a bit around the lake but it is very high this spring Daughter-in-law stated. It was a great area to see and so close to home. 

Sewing

I spent some time in the sewing room making the shirt for Kate. I had sewn the back to the side pieces and had serged those seams. Next up was top stitching them down. 
After that was done, it was time to do the the back yoke. I folded under 1/4" and basted it in place. 
I pinned the lace so the edge was under the yoke. I basted it down and sewed it on to the shirt. The fun was beginning. I picked it up to check and most of the lace did not catch. It literally hung down on the shirt. Ripped it out and after three tries got it stitched down. Lesson learned: Do Not use lace that has a crocheted edging that has holes on it. You have to zig zag stitch it down and not the look I wanted. 
What I do like is the points on the yoke match at at the seam line of the shirt. Nice drafting skills. 
I did a repeat of the front and it took several tries to get it attached properly. I also serged the shoulder and side seams of the front; I still need to do the back seams. 
At that point I stopped for the day. I will be putting clear crystals into the centers of the flowers on the yokes. This shirt calls for a bit of bling. 

Knitting

I did some knitting on the dress and am ready to start row 23. The dress has a tiny mistake at one sleeve -- I am short 1 stitch on the sleeve and had one too many on that side of the bodice. All is fixed up now and it is looking good. 
As this was a hard knit to start off with, I have not cast on another project. I probably won't until after I start the skirt on the dress. 

Today

I need to do some housework, sew on the doll's blouse, and help with the garden containers. I may even get to mow some lawn as tomorrow is to have some showers. 
Until the next time.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment